A hyperlink that points to a different domain or website. In SEO, external links (backlinks) from reputable websites can contribute to a site's authority and search engine rankings.
In digital marketing, an "external link" or "external hyperlink" is a link on a website that points to a different website or domain. External links are used to connect web pages to other relevant or authoritative sources of information on the internet.
Here's a breakdown:
- Definition: An external link is a hyperlink that directs users from one website to another website, often to provide additional information, support a statement, or reference a source.
- Purpose: External links serve several purposes, including:
- Providing additional information: External links can be used to direct users to related or more in-depth content on other websites.
- Building credibility: Linking to reputable sources can help establish the credibility and authority of a website.
- Improving SEO: Search engines use external links as a ranking factor, so linking to relevant and authoritative websites can help improve a website's search engine ranking.
- Encouraging collaboration: External links can also be used to promote collaboration and networking between websites and content creators.
- Attributes of External Links: External links can have various attributes, including:
- Anchor text: The clickable text that users see, which describes the content of the linked page.
- Target URL: The web address to which the link directs users.
- Reliability: Links can be classified as "dofollow" or "nofollow," indicating whether search engines should follow the link and consider it for ranking purposes.
- Best Practices: When using external links, it's important to:
- Link to relevant and authoritative sources: Choose sources that are reputable and add value to your content.
- Use descriptive anchor text: Use anchor text that accurately describes the content of the linked page.
- Monitor and maintain links: Regularly check external links to ensure they are still valid and pointing to the intended content.
In summary, external links are an important aspect of digital marketing that can help provide additional information, improve credibility, and enhance the user experience. By using external links effectively, websites can improve their SEO, establish their authority, and provide valuable resources to their audience.